Saturday, January 3, 2009

Where are you?

I'm not trying to sound like the resident expert on being Mormon, but i'll take my 33 years, 6 months, 22 days and 21 hours, 50 minutes of being one and just tell it like i see it. some might say that those early days of life can't possibly play a part in this, but being mormon starts with birth (even earlier, some might argue). There's a lot about this part of my life that is my life, but i like to think that there is more to me than just being mormon. (in college, i think that was my trait most frequently responsible for my actions). You wonder what you would be without the upbringing you had, i guess everyone wonders that, but it's especially poignant when you're mormon, because it dictates so many of your choices and your ideas and the way you treat people. not to say that all people raised mormon have the same experiences, i guess i'm just speaking for myself. I have spent years saying that the good things about me come from this upbringing, i've had people close to me dispute this assessment and say that i would be those things regardless. i guess there's no way to know. so, i wonder, where am i? where are you? not in a geographical sense, but in a much more impossible-to-quantify spiritual sense? do we do things for spiritual growth or for religious habit? does it matter? i think it does. that's not to say that i'm growing spiritually from one day to the next, or even one year to the next, but i do think it's a question worth asking, especially since the beginning of the year practically forces the better to be ignored self-reflection (at least it feels better to ignore it sometimes). so, again i ask, where am i?

No comments:

Post a Comment